Sunday, September 8, 2019

Stage 4 -- Planning the Layout

This will be a recurring part of the process. There's only so much that can be done on CAD and no matter how many measurements I make, I'm sure I'll have to make adjustments on the fly. It appears that I have 5'9" of width, 11'7" of length, and about 5'11" of height to work with before any paneling. One thing that is pretty hopeful for me is that I can lay out the interior with at least one bed along the short, back wall. I'm 5'7", so it's gonna be close. 

I went through many revisions of several different layouts, one including an inside toilet/shower. I knew in all the plans, I wanted a mini-fridge and microwave. A TV is easy to add because it doesn't have to be wall mounted. I also wanted two beds and some storage. For a time, I had a deck that folded out from the back doors, I tried putting the kitchenette on the back, accessed through the rear doors, and many other features that wouldn't make the final cut for one reason or another.

The primary usage for the trailer is intended to be something to take to races. I don't know if my wife will ever stay in it--it certainly hasn't drawn her interest so far--but a friend might come along, hence the second bed as opposed to a larger, single bed. I was concerned about finding a mattress that would work since there are standard sizes, but I located a company that does custom sized foam mattresses for not-unreasonable prices. It's not memory foam, but hopefully they are reasonably comfortable for a night or two.


So, as of this writing, the final plan has a bed along the back wall, elevated at 3'. Below that is a cabinet, mini-fridge, and a water-holding tank for the adjacent sink. A shower "wand" for rinsing off will be accessible when you open the back doors. There will also be a small storage area for miscellaneous items I don't want in the main living space. Back inside, below the sink will be a grey water holding tank. Under the second (and longer) bed will be storage. The TV will be sitting on a small storage cabinet by the foot of the short bed. The long bed will double as a sofa for watching the TV (which will only have an OTA antennae and maybe a DVD player. On the right, as you walk in, will be a tall cabinet that can handle some hanging items and a night stand for the long bed. There may also be some wall cabinets along that front wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment